Sunday, October 26, 2008

Politics and KU Basketball

When I first moved out here, I compared the current presidential race in Portland to that of KU basketball in Lawrence, Kansas. Everyone’s abuzz. It’s all anyone can talk about. And everyone is on the same team. In Portland, they’re all for Obama.

In regards to politics, I’ve always preferred to keep my mouth shut. Isn’t it one of those three things we’re taught to not talk about? Religion, politics and money? Hence, me watching the debates in the comfort of my own home.

I decided, however, for the last presidential debate I would “be Portland” and go out and watch it. I had been reading and hearing about debate watch parties all over Portland. A lot of the local brew and view theaters stop movies to show the debates. Bars host events. So, I finally gave in and decided to check it out.

I pictured a smattering of people dressed up in red or blue (obviously 99.9 percent blue in Portland), jumping out of their chairs and cheering, fists pumping, and the booze flowing. This is exactly what it is like watching KU basketball at a bar, down to the colors. I wore a yellow striped shirt and green vest to be safe.

The booze was flowing, and as expected, you wouldn’t be welcomed if you were a McCain fan. Show your support for the “wrong” side and you’d probably have a bar full of liberals wanting to take you on. This makes sense… It’d be like a North Carolina fan walking into a bar on basketball game day in Lawrence. It could get ugly.

But instead of cheers, there were laughs and snickers. There was no energy in the room. Now, granted, I went to a small bar, Hungry Tiger Too, and it wasn’t very full. So I was only hearing a few people’s thoughts, but I was surprised at how negative people were. Instead of people cheering on Barack or agreeing with his politics, they disputed the other side and made fun of McCain.

Now yes, I agree, like in basketball, bad calls should be booed and pointed out. So yes, if something is said out of turn or is false, boo away! As Americans, we deserve and expect the truth. I’m all for calling people out when it’s legitimate. But I’m also for supporting and cheering on those that I believe in. It’s like a good book. I am constantly saying, “Hey, you should really read this book I just read…” Passing on the good word.

That night watching the debate, I heard very few positive comments about Barack. Maybe I was with a bunch of Nader supporters. Or maybe Portlanders are just so bored with the election by now and no one to argue against, so they’re in need of new material. Whatever the case, I believe political aficionados should take a cue from Kansas basketball fans and cheer on their man by spreading his good word, rather than use all their energy to blast the other.

1 comment:

Boat_Cop said...

This offends me! I am offended! Why would you write such offensive things, and then present them in such a way that I would read them?